UK Student Visas - Student Route

UK Visas & Immigration

Student Route and other Visas for UK Study programmes

In order to study within the UK, you will need:

  • a student visa
  • a letter of acceptance, which the college can provide when you have been accepted on a course by the College
  • proof that you are able to provide for yourself financially during your stay and parental consent for your stay if you are under 18 years old.

In addition to these things:

  • you may be required to provide proof of English level (an accredited language test like IELTS)
  • it also strongly recommended that you arrange accommodation before your arrival.

Student visas

There are three student visa routes open to international students wishing to study in the UK. The visa you apply for will largely depend on the course you wish to study:

  • the Student route student visa, is a points-based visa system for students aged 16 plus wishing to study for an RQF level 3 qualification or higher – details at
  • the Short-term student visa for students who want to study English language courses of between 6 to 11 months – details at
  • the Visitor route for students wishing to study a course of 6 months or less – details at

Students from the EU / EEA and Switerzerland

From 2021 all new International students from the EU/ EEA and Switzerland studying for more than six months will be required to apply for a Student route visa, unless they already have a form of immigration permission.

You can download the guidance on this change at: The UK’s points-based immigration system: An introduction for EU students (pdf)


  1. If you are applying for a visa outside the UK, you will need to prove your identity. This is done differently depending on the country you reside in. Either you will need to supply a fingerprint and a photograph (biometric information) at a visa application centre, which can be found online at
  2. A Student visa is not generic permission to study in the UK as you wish. It is issued for a specific course of study at a specific institution.
  3. The Bournemouth and Poole College is an educational provider and a Student Sponsor for the Points Based System (PBS), and therefore is licensed by the UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) department of the Home Office to sponsor international students under the Student Routes.
  4. The Bournemouth and Poole College complies fully with the UKVI (UK Visa & Immigration) guidelines for UK Student Visas. We advise you to check the UK Visas and Immigration website links shown on this page for the latest regulations.
  5. You can also find visa advice from the UK Council for International Student Affairs at

Information on this page was last updated March 2023